20th Anniversary

by Cubby on December 30, 2012 · 20 comments

My husband Greg and I celebrate our 20th Anniversary this week. We met for the first time twenty years ago, on Jan. 1, 1993.

In previous years I made the announcement of our anniversary on my Jan. 1 blog posting, where it fell through the cracks unread and unacknowledged by most because of the holiday.

This year being extra special, I am announcing it early. It may be selfish and whiny of me, but I’d really like to get a few “congratulations” from my blogger friends. It would mean a lot to me.

According to the great and all-powerful Internet, the 20th anniversary is commemorated with china (traditional) or platinum (modern).  I wouldn’t mind getting a platinum cockring. I’d wear it with pride. To be honest, what I’d really like is a jade cockring, but the jade anniversary is 35 years, and I don’t think I want to wait that long.

My dear friend and fellow blogger Buddy Bear asked me in a comment yesterday to describe the first meeting between Greg and I. In the past when I’ve been asked this I’ve always told a little white lie, saying we met at a mutual friend’s New Year’s Eve party. The truth was embarrassing to me, but now I think it’s time to come out of the closet.

Greg and I met in (for its time) a non-traditional way: through the internet. Don’t laugh. Nowadays the internet is de rigueur for most gay meetups, but in Jan. 1993 when the world wide web was still just a research project at CERN and AOL was an expensive subscription service still in its infancy, Greg and I connected via Bill n Bob’s BBS in Cleveland. Geekus maximus, I admit.

I made a post on the BBS about slavery, and that I wanted a sex slave. Greg responded by saying he was looking for a sex master. We both decided we were just being silly but it started a dialog between us. We exchanged a few emails in the first couple of days, then transitioned to the phone for a few more days. Our conversations were hours long. I couldn’t wait to come home from work to spend the evening talking to Greg. When the first weekend came up, we decided to meet.

I drove over to the west side of Cleveland (I lived on the east side, a half-hour from him) and we met for dinner at some greasy spoon on Clifton Avenue in Cleveland’s gay neighborhood. Greg was a vision to behold! I couldn’t believe how hot he was, and how lucky I was. We had a simple dinner date.

At its conclusion I walked him home to his apartment where he proceeded to invite me up to see it. He had a great 4th floor apartment that he shared with 3 other guys. The last room he showed me was his bedroom. Before the date even began we agreed there would be no sex. We did not want this to be some kind of random hookup, but a real date. However…

You can imagine the rest. Or look back through past blog entries. I’ve written about our first sex on more than one blog post, but I’ll leave you to find it.

So that’s the story of how this 20 year relationship began. A bit of anonymous silliness on a BBS on Jan. 1, 1993 led to this. In Sept. 1993 Greg moved into my house, and over the years we’ve lived in (metro-) Cleveland, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Dayton, and now DC. I wonder where the next twenty years will take us?

Buddy Bear December 30, 2012 at 7:13 am

Cubby, thank you for sharing that sweet story! And, again, congratulations to you and Greg.

Tom Whittaker December 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

Wonderful story. Congrats on 20 years together and I hope the next 20 are also filled with as much love.

Raybeard December 30, 2012 at 7:54 am

Hope I’ll be around to see you posting a pic of your jade one – in the act of being worn, of course!
But until that happens, very hearty and huge congrats on reaching one score. May it be just the first of several more.

(Hmmmm. Sex slave, eh? Let me think on that a while……)

Frank December 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Congratulations on 20 years together! And many more!

It is truly remarkable how many of us there are in the 20 year plus category. And we should be proud to share that fact. So…seems you count your anniversary from the day you first met? Always a dilemma: to count from the day you first met, the day you first had sex, the day you first moved in together OR the day you made it legal. If we get married we start over at day 1!

An anniversary “gift”: Ten Percent Revue, a G&L musical group sang about it “The Wedding Song” back in the eighties – cute/sad lyrics. see http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tomwilsonweinberg

Bob Slatten December 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

Congrats on the 20!
And, you know, it doesn’t matter how you met, it only matters that you met!

Here’s to the next 20!

anne marie in philly December 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

oh my, the things you learn from someone’s blog posting…I am shocked, shocked I tell you! :-o

todd and I met in 1991 thru the free weekly “washington city paper”. he placed a personal ad and I answered it. end of story. still here 20 years later. it’s not HOW you meet, but what you do afterwards.

so here is a congratulations, you attention whore you! :-b

seriously, you and greg are a wonderful couple. spend time with you two and you can see the love each has for the other.

and when you obtain that cockring (or rings), the whole world will be watching for its unveiling! ;-)

smooches to you both for another 20 years! :-)

Behrmark December 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

You don’t know how jealous I am.
Mazel Tov!

victorinvermont December 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Congratulations to you and Greg! Happy Anniversary and many happy returns!

I liked the sweet story of how you met. My husband and I met online on a bdsm site, so I especially liked the sex master sex slave thing, even if it was just a playful joke. Fantasies are fun, even if they only amount to a few sentences of sexy banter.

Best to you both.

Truthspew December 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Hey congratulations on twenty years! Hope it’s a happy anniversary for the two of you.

Some day I’ll tell my sordid little story – of how Keyron and I met. I’ve kind of alluded to it on my blog but never come right out and said it.

Nik_TheGreek December 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary! Happy Anniversary!
Lots of love to both of you.
:-)

Matt Algren December 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids!

Jay M. December 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Wow, that’s awesome! In 1993, I was one of those geekus maximus types, using Delphi and a 2400 baud modem, and connecting to the Blue Ridge Express – however, too scared and closeted to even consider posting in one of the “personal ads” forums – the men looking for men forum specifically.

I think this is grand. TWENTY YEARS! Congratulations!

Peace <3
Jay

Urspo December 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I too want to be part of the conga line of congratulations!
I look forward to hearing about the next 20 years.

wondermann December 30, 2012 at 11:36 pm

20 years! Wow! Congrats!

wcs December 31, 2012 at 2:17 am

I can’t let a whiny, needy, cry-for-help go by without responding.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Seriously, I wish you all the best for the next twenty years, and beyond! It’s great to have “met” you both through your blog.

Greg December 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Congratulations!

Java January 1, 2013 at 12:47 am

Happy Anniversary! That’s a sweet if somewhat sordid story. So glad I’ve had the privilege of meeting you both.

Greg Shelton January 1, 2013 at 1:54 am

Thank you Hubby for the sweet post and 20 years and for not repeating the 1st sex post. I should really read your blog more often so I know your telling the story like I remember it! Kisses

Thanks to all your commenter’s for their sweet words and kindness!

Tobey January 1, 2013 at 11:46 am

CONGRATS to both of you! Love reading the story of how you met.

harper's keeper January 2, 2013 at 12:31 am

Congratulations of your anniversary and best wishes for the new year

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: